Downloading Kies downloader was quite fast, however the actual installer download took some time but the install was a breeze. Hooked up my phone to the laptop and was told that an update is available and I started it. The downloading took about 15 minutes and then the actual install another 7 minutes. Here are the steps:
- Setup Vibrant as follows:
- Go to Menu > Settings > Applications and check the box beside "Unknown Sources"
- Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > USB Settings and select "Ask on connection"
- Download Samsung Kies Mini from Samsun website.
- Install Kies Mini
- Ensure that the battery on your phone is more than 75% charged
- Take a backup of your data from the phone
- Start Kies Mini and connect the phone to the PC
- On phone prompt, choose "Samsung Kies" as the connect method on the phone
- Kies will show that an update is available, click on the "Phone Upgrade" button on the left
- A disclaimer Caution screen pops up - Read the Caution statements
- Click the checkbox for "I have read and understood...", and click the Upgrade button
- Kies will download the upgrade from the server - this took about 15 minutes for me
- Once the files are downloaded, Kies will start the upgrade process and the phone screen will change to reflect this with icons and info of what step is being performed
- After the installation finishes, click on the "Ok" button in the last screen to complete it.
- Now the phone should reboot by itself and now you can disconnect your phone from the PC
My phone just kept waiting for about 5 minutes in the initial screen that displays the Vibrant logo and then came up.
Here are the differences that I see right off the bat:
- Menu icons are colorful
- Phone seems to be a bit faster than before
- T-Mobile TV is now available - this is a pad service so not that interesting for now
- Option to add Samsung widgets on the home screen using the long press is not available any more
- WiFi calling is now available - but this still uses plan minutes so is useful only in places where T-Mobile or any other roaming GSM signal is not available, but a Wi-Fi signal is available.
- There is a new app for Google Search
- USB / Wi-Fi tethering is now available from Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile AP and Settings > Wireless and network > Tethering
- In the pull down menu from the top notification bar, there is a new icon to control Auto-Rotation
Here are the current version numbers:
- Firmware version: 2.2
- Baseband version: T959UVKA6
- Kernel version: 18.104.22.168
- Build number: FROYO.UVKA6
Yay!!! Finally on Froyo!!!